03/17/2010 - 12:00am
04/21/2010 - 5:00pm
About the PositionPAY RATE: $13.53 per hour
The East Bay Regional Park District is a public agency special district, established in 1934 to provide park and open space needs to the residents of Alameda and Contra Costa Counties. With more than 65 parks, over 100,000 acres, and over 1150 miles of trails, we are the largest regional parkland agency in the nation. Each year the District employs approximately two-dozen student interns with a primary program purpose to offer students a paid and enriching on-the-job learning experience, relevant to their area of academic study.
Under direction of a project supervisor, an intern is assigned to work on a specific project approximately 40 hours a week for a short-term period of 10-12 weeks. This year's program has ten (10) separate projects; see the attached 2010 Summer Intern Project Preference Form.
General Minimum Qualifications
- Education: Must be in attendance at, or on legitimate leave from a high school, trade school, college or university. Academic background compatible to departmental assigned projects.
- License: Must possess a valid California Driver's License. This requirement may be waived at the discretion of the General Manager for disabled or other applicants where the projects are such that a valid California Driver's License would not be necessary.
- Majors Encouraged: Natural Sciences, Parks and Recreation, Business, Computer Sciences, Library Science, Fire Science, Geography, and English, or other closely compatible majors. (Each individual project requires different educational specialties).
General Knowledge, Skills, & AbilitiesAbility to investigate and analyze situations, plan and organize research. Ability to speak and write effectively. Ability to follow instructions and to maintain harmonious working relations with fellow employees and the public. (Each individual project requires different knowledge, skills, and/or abilities.)
Selection ProcessAll applicants will receive a letter within three weeks after the filing deadline. Application materials of all applicants will be screened. Candidates with complete packages and whose qualifications most closely match project needs will be referred to the project supervisors. Project supervisors will select the best-qualified candidates for interview.
How to ApplyInterested students may download application materials below; may pick them up by visiting the District's Administrative Offices at 2950 Peralta Oaks Ct., Oakland, CA; or may call the Human Resources Division at (510) 544-2154 to request that they be mailed. The completed materials must arrive in the Human Resources Division before 5:00 p.m. on the closing date. Postmarks or faxed applications are not acceptable. Application materials for this position consist of:
- Click here to download an EBRPD Application for Employment form. (This form must be completely filled out) AND
- Click here to download the 2010 Summer Intern Project Preference form. (Attach to the application.) AND
- Click here to download the 2010 Summer Intern Supplemental Statement. (Attach to the application). The purpose of this form is to detail your interest in one or more projects. A resume may be attached but should not be substituted for the Supplemental Statement or any other part of the application packet.