Participants will help to rid the shoreline of trash and debris, as well as recyclables. Of particular concern is the plastic refuse that collects along the shore because of its detrimental effect on the wildlife.
Contra Costa County
• Bay Point Regional Shoreline, Port Chicago Highway exit off Hwy. 4 in Bay Point, go north to McAvoy Harbor.The work day will last from 8:30 a.m. to 12:00 noon. Volunteers should wear work clothes, gloves, and sturdy shoes and should bring snacks. Beverages will be provided.
• Martinez Regional Shoreline, north end of Ferry St. in Martinez.
• Eckley Pier, Bull Valley Staging Area, Carquinez Regional Shoreline on Carquinez Scenic Drive between Port Costa and Crockett.
• Lone Tree Point, end of Pacific Ave. in Rodeo.
• Breuner Marsh, Point Pinole Regional Shoreline, Giant Highway in Richmond. From points south of Richmond, take I-580 west to the Richmond Parkway and head east towards I-80. From points east of Richmond, take I-80 to the Richmond Parkway exit and head west. Once on the Parkway take Goodrick Avenue north to the end where the park gate is located. Follow the graveled trail to the Bay Area Radio Control Society parking lot on your right. A few hundred yards farther is a rocked, flat area that will be the temporary staging area for volunteer cleanups.
• Bayfront Park, west end of Tennent Ave. in Pinole. To volunteer, call (510) 724-9837 after July 15.
• Point Isabel Regional Shoreline, end of Isabel St. in Richmond.
Volunteers may choose among 14 staging areas in the two counties where cleanup crews may assemble. Pre-registration is required. Except where noted, register after July 15 by calling 1-888-327-2757, or register online after July 20, 2010 at www.EBParksOnline.org...
You can also help with a trail cleanup work effort on the Marsh Creek Regional Trail in the Oakley/Brentwood area. Go to www.FOMCW.org for details.
See also the State of California's Coast4U.org Web site.